Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Guest Reader Day

It was Guest Reader Day at my boy’s grade school today. Silly thing, I was nervous leading up to it. But I handled the pressure packed ordeal and read without difficulty. Even nailed the big words!

The point of guest reader day is to read a book to the class and then explain how reading is important in what you do in your profession. I quickly identified behavioral traits in 1st graders that necessitated a change of plan. It seems that most of them wanted to participate by asking questions about the book during the reading and they needed answers (i.e., ‘What’s that planet’s name?’, ‘Why are they wearing helmets?’). They also wanted to tell me what their parents do. So I modified my game plan to suggest how reading is important to their parents’ jobs.

Nice meeting all the other guest readers at the morning reception. Lots of dads and moms whom Wife Klem and I already know through school events and socializing. The mayor was also present and participated, thought that was nice. It was a good time. I had 20 1st grade students and they were very manageable. Wonder if the guest readers for the older classes and their rowdies got heckled.

I read Martian Rock by Carol Shields.
-klem

2 comments:

  1. I'm assuming that prepping for this high profile guest reader spot took up most of your Monday which is why there is no blog post for that day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Affirmative. I was holed up late into Monday night with my preparatory visualization exercises.

    As ‘go-time’ approached a student ambassador was sent to retrieve each guest reader from the reception area and deliver to their assigned class. Amanda of the 4th grade retrieved me for her 1st grade minor compatriots. I must admit, I was a little jealous of the uniform / outfit of the firefighter, pilot, karate man, and SWAT fellas.
    -klem

    ReplyDelete