Tuesday, March 10, 2009

An Accidental Lawn Mowing

May 2001

It was a bright, beautiful, and hot Friday afternoon. Wife Klem was eight months pregnant with our first child. Driving home from work that afternoon I was feeling somewhat overwhelmed at the busy weekend we had lined up. We were entertaining guests and there remained chores to complete before they arrived. Plus I wanted to carry the bulk of the load to compensate for that thing was in her belly.

On the drive home from work I had formulated a game plan to tackle the chores. The winning plan started with a quick lawn mow immediately when I got home. Start with some momentum and carry through to victory.

I pulled into the driveway and saw that the front lawn was already mowed, trimmed, and looked great! ‘Wow,’ I thought to myself, ‘She mowed the lawn!’ The lawn had a slope to it and was difficult in some areas. I was in awe of her effort and determination.

Smiling at the strength of my teammate I walked up the stairs and saw a note on the front door. “I’m sorry. I mowed your lawn by accident,” it read.

Our neighbor had a new gardener. He just got confused as to what lawn he was being paid to mow and nailed us by mistake. That was a nice treat! Even though the slacker didn’t accidentally also mow the rear.


-klem

No comments:

Post a Comment