Monday, March 9, 2009

Amusing Parental Observations

Sure is good times being a parent. Well, I mean for the most part. Sure there’s a few conundrums and crummy tasks along the way, but the potential for amusing anecdotes is ever present. I submit a pair of ours for your review.



Him:
(my son was four years old at the time)
July 2005

Wife Klem and I both check the kids before going to bed. I was rearranging the blankets on him to secure proper coverage when he sat up in a sleepy daze.

He turned to me and said, “Daddy, Uncle Mike protects me.”

“That’s right. Uncle Mike protects you,” I reassured.

“Uncle Mike protects me from silly bad guys with balloons. Silly bad guys that jump around and stuff,” he clarified.

And with that he rolled over and went back to sleep. What kind of dream was the guy having it makes me wonder? Possible leftover brain activity stimulated from playing in the pool today at grandma and grandpa’s house?


Her:
(my daughter was three years old)
June 2008

We’d been having a difficult time with her at bedtime. After we tuck her in she’d get out of her bed and go to sleep in mommy and daddy’s bed. When we tried to move her later she’d wake up crying and end up back in our bed. That makes for a cramped slumber. In conversation with her I came to understand that the source of concern was that there were monsters in her room. After a brief consulting with a friend at work he provided a great idea. Monster spray.

That evening before bed we let her squirt a solution of ‘monster spray’ in all the problematic areas of her room. We let her wield the spray bottle of tap water (aka monster spray).

“Where are the monsters,” I asked.

“Over there,” pointing at the corner.

“Go ahead and spray.” With a large smile, and with me holding her dolly, she sprayed.

“Where else is there a problem.”

“Over there,” she continued to the other corner. This continued for the closet and one more corner and she went to bed smiling.

The monsters have not burgeoned since.


-klem

No comments:

Post a Comment