Monday, March 30, 2009

The Dump Shot

Two college chums and I had ridiculously joked on several occasions of possessing phenomenal leaping ability combined with supreme basketball skills. We’ll call these chums Andrews and McGettigan the Elder. One scenario specifically involved a basketball game and the ability to leap well above the hoop. Rather than delivering a forceful slam dunk we’d coolly drop the ball from behind our buttocks and into the hoop for a score. This was referred to as the ‘Dump Shot’.


Spring 1989

I was at the UC Santa Barbara University Center between classes. This was a large open courtyard and on this day there was a presentation, the topic I have long since forgotten. The speaker, however, caught my interest. Jamaal ‘Silk’ Wilkes. Wilkes was a former NBA player for the Los Angeles Lakers from 1977 to 1985. A good player.

I sat down and ate a peanut butter and strawberry jelly sandwich, I was accustomed to packing said sandwich variety when going to campus.

Following the presentation he lingered and spoke to the students that approached. I considered his autograph with a specific Dump Shot reference. ‘He seems pretty easy going. I’ll ask,’ talking myself into action.

The crowd quickly dispersed one by one as autographs were issued.

“Hi, Mr. Wilkes. May I have an autograph, please,” I started.

“Sure. What would you like me to write,” asked the former professional basketballer.

“That was some dump shot,” I requested.

“Would you repeat that, please,” smiling. I did.

“Dump shot,” he questioned.

“Right,” I responded.

Laughing, he obliged.


The proof of this exchange was long ago lost when I discarded my old college notebooks. Bummer.
-klem

No comments:

Post a Comment