Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Happy Birthday, Wife Klem!

December 1995

A work related move took me from one office to another 60 miles away. My first day in the new office I met a cubicle neighbor, he and I got along well, and we went to a burger franchise and got acquainted over a couple of Whoppers.

Returning to the office he introduced me to some new work cohorts. He also introduced me to my neighbor across the aisle. She was beautiful! I did what I could to maintain my cool before departing that afternoon.

My neighbor across the aisle and I were both single. A combination of me being shy and leery of an in-office romance I fostered a friendly, though clumsy, familiarity. Brief chit chats about weekend events and social goings-on was the typical conversation.

Six months later she turned in her two-weeks notice. She was leaving the company. Mustering up my strength I managed to ask her out. I got strength in thinking that if she declined me it would be only an awkward two weeks, then it’d be over and she’d be gone. But to my eager delight she smiled, wrote down her phone number, folded the paper in half, and handed it to me.

We dated for a year and on June 13 (it was Friday the 13th) of 1997 I asked her to marry me at Lacy Park in San Marino. She accepted! We were married in 1998.


Today is Wife Klem’s birthday. Happy Birthday, Sweet Pea. I love you. Thanks for the delightful ten plus years!
-klem

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Honey Bun.I love you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, you are as sick as Dan and I. Now I know why people keep telling us we are disgustingly mushy. I see it! And I think it's great! Thanks for sharing your story :) very nice!

    ReplyDelete