Monday, March 16, 2009

Picky Eaters. A Hopeful Update.

A food breakthrough? Our boy and girl ate chicken breast Saturday night!The kids are both picky eaters and getting them to engage new foods outside their strict self-imposed eating regiments is a struggle. [See post from January 22 for details.]

The kids were both invited to a birthday party on Sunday, one of our daughter’s classmates. We told the boy that he could go if he ate some chicken for dinner on Saturday night. He did not immediately discard the idea. This surprised me. So from here we went on the offensive.

“There’s going to be cake there and probably candy. If you eat the chicken you can go to the party and you can even have a soda,” the bid was made.

“How much do I have to eat,” putting his feelers out.

‘We got him,’ I thought to myself.

Food is often a negotiation with this guy, except for the items where he remains steadfast (i.e., hamburgers, tacos, burritos, beets). His frequent opening lines to negotiation: “How much do I have to eat?” or “What happens if I don’t eat it?” Open ended questions.

Our daughter, four years old, operates along different lines. She sees food in very clear black and white terms: “No.” “I don’t want to eat it.” “I don’t like that.” She doesn’t allow much room for counter bids.

But this Saturday at dinner she saw her brother complaining and realized that she had an opportunity to glow at his expense. Seeing him struggling with the idea of whether or not to eat the chicken she chimed in, “I love chicken, Momma, can I have some?” She could. She did.

The guy’s resolve weakened. Mild complaining, lots of coaxing, ranch dressing to dip, he held his nose to dim the taste receptors . . . mission accomplished! Hope we’ll be able to retain chicken breast as a regular.

The peer pressure provided by his baby sister helped put him over the edge. Victory was attained for this meal. I’m sure he’ll prove again to be a worthy foe at a meal very soon in the future.

Hopeful.
-klem

No comments:

Post a Comment