Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Daring Gambit

1993

I was a bachelor, it was a Saturday night, and I was out for the evening with several bachelor pals at a club. A night club or dance club, if you will. Not an exotic dance club, just to make perfectly clear in case Mom Klem is listening in.

It was crowded and the line to get inside was several people deep. There was mild jostling at the entrance with people vying for position, plus the doormen appeared to be experiencing confusion amongst themselves. One doorman checked ID, a second guy collected money, and a third stamped one’s hand signifying they had paid and then allowed entrance.

Visibility at the front door was limited on account of the crowded tightly packed confines and poor illumination. In the melee of limbs and bodies, mixed with the distraction of the glut of doormen, I sought to take advantage.

While my ID was being checked by guy #1 I saw that the money collector, guy #2, was occupied with another patron. I reached my arm ahead to the hand stamper, guy #3, whose attention was momentarily directed elsewhere. Without even looking, he stamped the hand that found its way to him. Mine. As everyone advanced one slot I proceeded to the money collector and confidently showed my hand stamp. He waived me through with no money collected!

I beat the system. Net gain from this daring gambit? Five bucks. Sweet victory.
-klem

No comments:

Post a Comment