Friday, June 5, 2009

Friday Night Pig Ear

I’ve made no secrets here of my eager anticipation of each and every Friday night. Every Friday brings Friday Night Movie Night at the Klem homestead. It denotes a break from the drudgery of gainful employment to bask in the glories of a well earned leisure.

The Friday night pleasantries date back to when I was just a little rascal of four years, at least that’s my earliest recollection. Mom and Dad Klem would put out a bed sheet in front of the tv and allow me and my brothers, I don’t think my baby sister was yet tossed into this Friday night melee, to heartily ply ourselves with Cheetos, potato chips, popcorn, and soda. It was an hour of magic.

Wife Klem and I have enjoyed our own Friday Night Movie Night routine for over a decade now. As Friday winds down at work a smile crosses my face as I realize I’m closing in on movie time.

We also implemented a Friday night treat for our dog. After the kids are in bed on Friday she gets a pig ear. Pig ears! Actual ears of pigs that’ve been baked up to a crunchy goodness. Some ears are even visibly equipped with the numerical ID tattoo from the commercial pigging operation. Good times! She, Kira the dog, takes her pig ear and lies down on her rug and eats it down with the elegance of a child placed in front of a plate of donuts.

Today is a special day, I lift a pig ear prerequisite. I had been requiring that our noble beast eat all her dog food to qualify for the pig ear. If she didn’t eat it all, she didn’t qualify for the ear. She dines daily on 1/2 can of wet food and almost two cups, or a pint as we prefer in the grog shops, of dry food mixed together in one bowl. She likes the wet, tolerates the dry. She’s a good dog, that Koob. Even if she sometimes leaves a few dry food kernels in her bowl.

[Proudly showing that she’d zeroed out her dinner.]


































[Waiting for the ‘pig ear’ cabinet to open and yield its reward.]


After putting the kids to bed she eagerly greets me at the bottom of the stairs and prances into the kitchen. The dog prances, I just walk, where she’ll stare at the ‘pig ear’ cabinet waiting for it to open, wagging her tail in anticipation.

Tonight’s Friday Night Movie Night is The Wrestler (2008) starring Mickey Rourke.
-klem

No comments:

Post a Comment