Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Dogs > Cats

I’m not a cat guy. One might even say that I’m anti-cat. Dogs, though, count me in.

‘What’s my beef with cats,’ you ask. They come and go as they please and do not respond to their name when called. They act as if under their own executive authority whether or not to respond.

‘Well, you’d like my cat. It’s just like a dog,’ some cat owners may be apt to say.

No, not really. A cat is a cat. In making such a statement they’d be trying to justify its existence under the guise that the cat is actually more behaviorally aligned with the more desirable beast, the canine, while pretending that it only looks like the less desirable breed of animal, feline.

You’ll never hear a dog owner say, ‘You’d like my dog. It behaves just like a cat.’ Of course not, because a dog behaving like a cat would be universally viewed as a defective dog. Not one that is above average as the counterpoint commonly taken by cat owners.

Look, dogs are unique beasts. Let’s say there’s a spooky sound or unauthorized personnel in the back yard. Most animals would run away and hide putting self preservation as the highest priority. Now, consider the canine. Something’s awry in the back yard, a possible intruder. The dog thinks to itself, ‘Something’s not correct. I’m going to investigate.’ It then proceeds to walk straight into the source of the disturbance or disruption. That, my friend, is a unique beast. When most revert to self-preservation mode the dog goes to ‘protect my people’ mode.

I like dogs. I conclude my diatribe.
-klem

No comments:

Post a Comment