Saturday, January 24, 2009

Video Gaming Cross Roads

My son and I recently experienced a cross roads of sorts. We have a Playstation 2 video gaming system. Last year we got a few car racing games that he enjoys, Hot Wheels specifically.

When we first got the game he struggled at it and was easily frustrated, so much so that he would ask mommy and daddy for help. It’s nice when the kids look up to us, even when it’s just to tap into our video gaming prowess. His tenacious gaming, however, quickly yielded considerable improvement in his capability.

The cross roads came when it occurred to each of us that I can no longer compete with him. In fact, we went from him asking me for help to where he now talks smack at me while he’s beating me at the game one on one. He’s seven.

Where do we go from here? I thought I could practice up after he goes to bed each night and soundly defeat him one day with a 2-player challenge. But I think I might have difficulty finding the time to practice and maintain top form that would certainly be needed to remain afloat over his burgeoning improvement. Maybe this’ll be a good time to concede his superior position in this area and talk about the importance of good sportsmanship.

Oh, well. At least I can still handily crush him at the old Atari VCS cartridge games. It’s possible the block graphics from 25 years ago confuses him compared to the great quality of today’s gaming graphics. Besides, I know the glory of being a Guitar Hero. It’ll be years before he can challenge me here . . . I hope.
-klem

No comments:

Post a Comment