Thursday, February 5, 2009

25 random things about me

This ‘25 Random Things’ theme has been getting much play on Facebook. I’ve abstained from responding but find myself too weak to abstain any further. Made the following list, but accidentally came up with 30 things. I present them here for your amusement and ridicule.

1. I avoid taking deep breathes when in the vicinity of dumpsters.
2. I weighed in at my all time high of 172 lbs. Wife Klem was pregnant with our first child. You know, on-purpose sympathy weight.
3. Undermounted sinks. It’s the only way to exist.
4. Surface space. There can never be enough of it.
5. I’m annoyed, but tolerant, when people say, “Bless you” after a sneeze. It’s just a sneeze. Let it go.
6. I’ve never taken drugs. But beers? Yes. Large amounts that would embarrass me if my mom were to know.
7. A buddy and I used to smoke cigars at parties in high school. It was our thing. Silly creatures, we were.
8. I have a weakness for dogs. They’re lovely beasts.
9. I’m a beer snob. But any beer with an alcohol content of 9% or more is not a desirable concoction.
10. I once belched the alphabet in college. I had plenty left over and should have kept going.
11. I was proud of my boy the day he threw up but made it to the sink before he blew up. Sure, he was feeling punk, but no clean up work!
12. I like being married.
13. I used to relish going out on Friday and Saturday nights. Absolutely no longer. Kids are the perfect excuse now.
14. My weekends as a bachelor revolved around seeing my buddies and where we were going to be on Friday and Saturday nights.
15. I knew Wife Klem was the one when we started dating and I wanted to be with her instead of my chums.
16. I prefer to watch a big ball game on tv rather than live. Even if the tickets were free.
17. The clear BIC pens with blue ink are my writing implements of choice.
18. I relish Friday Night Movie Night with Wife Klem. It’s our family tradition. Kids are in bed and we fire up a movie about 8:30 pm.
19. I’m self conscious about my tiny wrists. How are these things so small?
20. I think I have a writing compulsion. Honest.
21. I find my facial hair to be an annoyance. But I find facial hair amusing on others.
22. I’m a certified SCUBA diver. Once while 35-feet deep I felt ill and threw up through the rented regulator. Felt much better. I swam through the orange cloud of chum.
23. Decades ago I watched a college basketball game. I was 10-years old. Assumed that I’d one day be able to slam dunk when I was full grown and looked forward to it. The much coveted dunk was never attained on a regulation height hoop.
24. I’m a minimalist.
25. James Joyce. Dammit, no he is not a good author! Writer of tripe. That's how I feel about that.
26. At a friend’s request I once called his boss and quit his job for him.
27. Resilience. My favorite English word based solely on how it sounds. Beautiful.
28. Hablabamos. My favorite Spanish word based solely on how it sounds. Funny.
29. I’m in awe of pioneers who came west in their covered wagons. Daily battles for food and water against a wily foe, the elements. Crazy bastards. How’d they do it?
30. Wife Klem and I got a Trust, a Will, and the important supporting documents drawn up two years ago. It’s a relief having that done. Hope we don’t need them any time soon.

2 comments:

  1. #22 - Was this in Santa Barbara??? I think I heard about this on campus!

    #28 - Try saying it with your eyes closed, it sounds even better!

    Michelle L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #22. The SCUBA certification process took place one of those summers while still in UCSB, but the chum cloud occurred in ‘98 in Kauai, HI. Partially a result of carrying too much weight around my waist to counteract the buoyancy of the wetsuit and a breakfast that wanted out.

    -klem

    ReplyDelete