Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Save Brian Williams

Hey, have you heard, news anchor Brian Williams was caught in a lie! There’s plenty of clamor out there for the guy to be fired, but I say ‘Leave the guy alone.’ Really, everyone doesn’t need to be fired every time they do something dumb. Sure, there’s a credibility issue with Williams, but let the viewers decide for themselves if that’s a problem.

Let’s say, for example, that I’m tuning into ESPN SportsCenter for an update on the day’s sports action. If I’m just tuning in for some visual highlights, I don’t care who’s commentating, I’m just there to be entertained. If, however, I’m tuning in for scores and statistics of the day’s action, you know - facts, credibility at that point is integral to why I’m watching.

Brian Williams and NBC news have been exposed. If the viewers are merely tuning in to be amused by a few visual highlights of the day’s action, Williams and NBC remain in play. If, however, viewers want to be informed, they can decide for themselves if another news program provides a better product.
-wdk

No comments:

Post a Comment