Thursday, December 17, 2020

The COVID Chronicle, December 1-15, 2020

 

 

December 1 [Tuesday]

Our detox table by the front door remains in force since the first days of Covid. Any packages and mail received, they sit on the detox table for a few days to contain possible virus taint. Covid’s capacity for spreading by touch is a minor concern compared to airborne, though this was not known in the early months of the virus. But I reference our detox table to document its permanent position in the office since March.

 

December 4 [Friday]

My optometrist appointment today. Dr. Akamatsu in Glendale was not as ‘in your face’ with the procedures as the routine typically entails. Masks were in force, plastic screens were employed where possible, including on the ‘vision test’ goggle machine. They scrubbed down all the glasses frames after I touched them, whether or not I put them on, before reinstalling them on the inventory wall. Anyway, my prescription hasn’t changed in two years, and at my advanced age of 53 this is a victory.

 

December 5 [Saturday]

A surprise happy birthday Zoom with [our niece]! [My brother and his wife] had arranged for a few of her close friends, and us, to sing Happy Birthday to her. [My sister-in-law] activated the computer’s camera to capture the surprised [birthday girl], then brought it into the dining room where she was awaiting dessert. That’s when she saw the Zoom participants also singing. She was appropriately embarrassed and it was fun! We disrupted her birthday dessert, a homemade ice cream sandwich made by her papa. Maybe after Covid we can revert back to celebrating birthdays in person. Although, maybe I’m horrible for admitting, this does not tear me up to avoid social gatherings.

 

December 6 [Sunday]

Wife Klem and I placed two online orders for pick up this morning, Best Buy and Bev Mo. Our pick-ups at Best Buy [curbside pick up] and Bev Mo [walk-in] were very efficient and we returned home in good time. So good was the time that we caught [our daughter] in a furtive visit with her boyfriend from school. He had parked the family mini-van across the street and she was standing in the street talking to him. The rascals. So, it was an exciting day. 

 

December 10 [Thursday]

Virtual high school is of disappointing quality and quantity. Class is held from 8:00 am to 12:30 Monday-Friday, with a ten-minute break between classes. Wednesday is the exception, 8:00 am to 10:30. Homework is very light, as is, I imagine, the level of knowledge being conveyed. These kids are being cheated of an education compared to their counterparts around the world. I know, I know, my opinion. My beef is not with the teachers, they are proceeding under difficult circumstances. My beef is with . . . well, I guess I’m not sure with whom. Those in charge pulling the strings and levers? With vaccines on the horizon school should be very exciting in the fall of 2021 as we approach the restoration of live instruction.

 

December 11 [Friday]

I made my weekly visit to the local grocery store. The aim is to minimize my shopping visits to reduce the potential Covid exposure. Prices change on Wednesdays, so I need to get down there weekly to bulk up on sale items. Specifically, I need to know if the Yoplait tubs are on sale [so much tastier than the store brand, plus I’m not into Greek yogurt], cereal [I infuse my yogurt intake with cereal for texture] and chunky soups [my lunches would take a considerable downgrade if it weren’t for the occasional Progresso lasagna style soup or Campbell’s chili and mac soup]. No sale items of note today, so it was a quick stopover with no further visits needed until Wednesday’s price change.

 

December 12 [Saturday]

Covid vaccines are being unleashed today from Pfizer warehouses! Doses are in big rigs en route to their vaccine hopefuls! Well, this is certainly encouraging. It’s a long ways until this changes anything, some time after April it is being suggested until semblance of pre-Covid existence returns. I don’t know when we’ll be eligible for ours or how we’ll be notified, but I’ll gladly get injected.

 

December 13 [Sunday]

Mom has the Safehouse Christmas tree decked out with lights and decorations. I imagine the Safehouse is smelling Christmassy. But she’s bummed, putting it lightly. Naturally, she wants her family present for Christmas. [My sister] and her team had been planning a visit from Northern California, but this is called into question under the current Covid restrictions and bloating numbers of afflicted. I advised mom not to mail Christmas gifts to [the kids]. I’d be over at some point, possibly the whole team, but we’re waiting to hear more about [my sister’s] visit. If she’s there, we’ll mostly abstain to avoid cross-exposure possibilities. If she’s not able to drive down for the visit then I plan for a more considerable Christmas visit. Uncertainties, disappointment and hurt feelings abound.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment