Saturday, September 4, 2021

The COVID Chronicle, August 16-31, 2021


August 18 [Wednesday]

[The boy] moved into his on-campus apartment today at CS Fullerton. He returns to live-action college with graduation pending for the spring! [A three-year college plan because he couldn’t hang with his old man’s five-year plan.] Proof of vaccinations are required to move in to the on-campus housing. Residents are also encouraged to pack a Go bag, two days worth of gear in case a lock down incident occurs. But really, in that case I’d prefer he simply break out and come home [we’re 20-miles away]. Anyway, classes commence Monday.

 

August 19 [Thursday]

My work remains virtual. Some non-field colleagues in other departments are returning to the office in limited capacity. As for me and my field colleagues, my employer has asked for our input about returning to field activities. Are we comfortable going back to our field tasks? What aspects give us pause? What tasks are we comfortable resuming presently? I’d like to return to my field tasks, but in-office appointments I prefer to continue on a virtual basis. I’m interested in seeing how long this ‘strictly virtual’ will continue. The concern is that if my employer sees virtual work being conducted equally as productive as field work, maybe we’ll be asked to move to a less expensive state and save the company on salary expenses.

 

August 20 [Friday]

Having a mask on my person is so second nature after all this time, it’s like reaching for one’s wallet and keys before stepping out. Walking out the door without one makes me pause to check, then turn back for its retrieval if needed. 

 

August 21 [Saturday]

There is talk of vaccination booster shots. Each manufacturer has its own timeline, but they’re all working on boosters. The evolution of Covid and its variances seem to remain problematic. The Delta variant has been getting much notice lately.

 

August 23 [Monday]

[My daughter] returns to live-action high school today for her senior year! She got gypped with virtual high school and I’m happy to see the live tutelage resuscitated.

 

I saw an on-duty school bus this morning while taking Ghost Dog for a walk. Whoa! Now that’s anachronistic of the pre-Covid era.

 

August 24 [Tuesday]

With the return of live-action high school, the ultra leisure mornings of Shelter In Place conclude. No more rocking the cardio machine in the early hours, shower, enjoy a relaxed breakfast before logging in to virtual work. There is now a schedule. Drop off at high school or dog walking with breakfast to fit within the necessary time parameters, then logging in for virtual work. 

 

August 25 [Wednesday]

Lunches have gotten lonely. [The boy’s] at college and [my daughter] is at school. I’m sitting alone in the kitchen eating soup and reading an eBook, Pride and Prejudice. I had been greatly spoiled with having so much of these playful monkeys during Shelter In Place.

 

The Corona doll finally met its demise. This was a doll [my daughter] and I made from a kit at the very beginning of Shelter In Place. It was agreed that it would go to Ghost Dog when live-action school resumed. I figured that would have been a few weeks or at least the fall of 2020. But no, it took a year and a half. With [my daughter] pulling and Ghost Dog biting and pulling, it was shredded within two minutes. I don’t miss the doll, standing there in the kitchen window day after day looking at me with his hand extended high in the air waving.

 

August 26 [Thursday]

My internet connection this week has been better than average! I have not needed to engage the work-provided wi-fi tool. This expanded available bandwidth is due to [the boy] being away at college and [my daughter] being occupied at live-action high school. I can hog up all the house internet for my virtual employment with nary a quibble or concern over sketchy coverage during a Skype meeting.

 

August 27 [Friday]

[The boy] returned home after his first week of live action college. One professor is continuing online with pre-recorded lectures into September. By that time the mandatory vaccinations at Fullerton for students and staff are to have been fully implemented. Meanwhile, one of his roommates had a Covid test because of an exposure risk, but tested negative. As a courtesy he vacated the apartment for a few days’ cushion. How long are these tests and excitements going to continue?

 

August 28 [Saturday]

[The boy] and I bought a car today, a 2022 Toyota Prius Prime. I’d worked with a salesperson over the phone and through text. A price had been agreed to more than a month ago, but the vehicle arrived only today. There is a shortage of vehicles to some extent due to the shortage of microprocessors. But anyway, we got ours. We were at the dealership for four hours. Much of that extended stay was because the vehicle had arrived just that morning and there were a number of checklists the dealership had to roll through before approving the vehicle ready for sale. It was a very amicable process having agreed to a price before even arriving to the dealership with absolutely no haggling remaining to bang out. Masks, social distancing, optional handshakes, and plastic see-through screens on tables and desks were in effect.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment