Monday, March 2, 2009

Lasorda’s Autograph

I grew up on baseball, watching and playing. I remember as a little guy on Sunday mornings during baseball season spreading the Sports page out on the floor and hovering over it for an extended time reviewing player’s statistics. I liked numbers and I liked baseball. This combination of the two presented in a delectable spreadsheet of baseball statistics was to be savored. [Hard to recall a time where a player’s statistics were more than a click away on the computer.]

As a youth I played baseball in a league through the YMCA. My big brother and I were on the same team for a few years. Good times. Heck, I even enjoyed the practices.


1978

An event had been organized through the YMCA where the players on my team and parents were going to get a tour of the local baseball stadium, Los Angeles Dodger stadium! Mildly stated, I was pretty excited! At the prospect of possibly seeing some professional baseballers I brought my Dodger baseball cards and a pen.

We got to walk on the field which was a thrill. This is the exact spot where my baseball heroes have stood! The Dodger manager, Tommy Lasorda, as if on queue, came out to greet us while we were in the dugout! Too good!

After a brief chit chat he saw my baseball cards and offered an autograph. I was very pleased with myself for having the Dodger team card ready along with a pen. But very sadly I didn’t think it through. Baseball cards have a waxy coat to them that is not conducive to a ball point pen. That’s what I brought, ball point. Manager Lasorda patiently made a few efforts to sign the thing but it looked pretty splotchy and crummy, though well indented from the rigorous contact with the ball point.


I remember a year or so later watching a ball game on tv. A commercial or public service announcement came on starring Tommy Lasorda. The message was something to the effect that ‘If you are coming to the ball park and want an autograph be sure to bring a pen that works.’

Honest, that message was on tv. Must’ve been in conjunction to an upcoming Fan Appreciation Day. I felt like he was talking directly at me. I felt beat down for a second time. Bummer, the reminder of being so close but pulling up lame.


I still have the card. Can’t read the autograph.
-klem

No comments:

Post a Comment