Wednesday, July 1, 2020

COVID-19, In the Beginning


So It Begins [as documented on 6/1/2020]:
This is a few months late, but I’m finally resolved to document my sentiments about COVID-19, Shelter In Place quarantine, its tragedies and related inconveniences. The Coronavirus has been called a 100-year pandemic, comparing, of course, to the Spanish Flu of 1918. If so, per’aps this narrative, to be continued into the undecided future, much like the virus itself, may be of personal interest to reflect upon some day. My thoughts as documented throughout the ordeal of pandemic follow.

March 13, 2020 [Friday evening] [The following is a transcript from my voice recording made while walking the dog on the evening of March 13. I was riled up after hearing of the COVID precautions and school closures. This is what I off-gassed to myself to preserve for posterity. I was fired up.]
         “March 13, 2020. It’s Friday the 13th. So we have a bunch of Coronavirus panic going on. A bunch of businesses closing down, Disneyland. [Work] hasn’t shut everything down but we are being encouraged to work virtually where possible. Talk of the government giving a UBI [Universal Basic Income], a monetary stipend, to the citizens. But this whole thing, I think it’s overblown, it’s a panic. I don’t like the government causing the collapse of the economy, and then at the same time calling itself a savior by giving money, a UBI. We will see six months or a year from now we’ll have a better idea is this really a panic causing the depression, a global economy being shut down. Or are we really going to lose millions of people to this thing, in which case it would not have been panic, it would not have been over reaction, it would have been appropriate steps. And my feeling, government provide information and then let people make their own decisions. Infants and old people, they’re most at risk, they maybe sequester themselves to their home confines, but to tell everyone that you can’t meet in groups of 250 or more, that’s a little overbearing. 
         And the part that really burns me, is all the businesses that are gong to be shut down and go bankrupt and have to close because of all the people being scared into not going out. You’ve got restaurants that are closing down, you’ve got Disneyland, and baseball and basketball games, meanwhile there are businesses, there are vendors who have paid for access to these arenas to stay in business, and if they’re shutting down then these businesses are going to shut down. So you end up with people losing their jobs, people losing their businesses and continuing that forward, losing their homes or their worth and then what do you have? You’ve got collapse.
How about the government just provide information, take some reasonable precautions and then get out of the way for people to make their own decisions. The government is making decisions to protect the people from themselves, but meanwhile the people have no protection from the government.
         Meanwhile, the hoarding has commenced. Toilet paper, apparently, is a tough commodity to come by, water. And quite frankly, with the water, that I don’t understand. We can still turn on the faucet, there’s water in there. As far as the toilet paper, that I don’t quite get. But I guess if we get in a pinch we could by some newspaper and treat it like we do Ghost Dog’s poop. 
         The stock market collapse is in full swing. That I’m not particularly concerned about. We’re not getting out of the market. We have moved some of our mutual funds into more conservative investments, but it’s still in the stock market. There’s going to be a swing. Most of our stock market money is in our 401K and our Roth IRAs, so we don’t need that for at least eight years. The market will certainly rebound by then, probably double by then. So that’s not a major issue.
         But sure, tough to see the paper money go away, or the value on paper go away. But, it’s going to rebound. These are the times where people can make money. If you panic and get out, then you lose, you lock in your losses. But if you stay the course and you don’t need the money right away then you’re fine. So, hey, if the collapse continues another few more months that would be a wonderful time to get deeper into the market. But we will see.
         [The boy] is going to be home for the next five weeks from Fullerton. That, I think, is a bit of a bummer. I want him to be on his own developing and accepting and coming to terms with his own independence, his budding adultness. I’m not really as keen on having him as a fifth-year high school student. I want him on his own, making decisions on his own, and realizing he can do life on his own without getting second opinions from his elders.
         And also, you know, [my daughter]’s going to be home for four weeks, three weeks. And I like having the kids home but the idea of teaching them to panic when something’s not right, I think that is a crummy message to send. I want them to be able to be presented with a situation, obtain some facts from a reasonable source and make a decision. I don’t want them to have to experience a mandated shut down.
         This is a teaching opportunity and I think those in charge are failing it. 
         OK, having that out of the way, but it’s fun with momma at home, and she’s talking about all the supplies she’s got and all the movies we can watch. Don’t get me wrong, there’s a lot of panic happening out and I hope it is short lived, but right now it’s a Friday afternoon, I’m taking Ghost Dog for a walk and I’ll be home soon with momma and we’re going to be watching movies and having a fun evening. Maybe have a little hooch. So that, I can get on board with. But the idea of shutting the down of businesses and the economy, no, I’m not going to get on board with that.
         OK. Thank you for hearing me out.
         I am 52 at present, 52 years. Now, if I were in my late 60s or 70s, maybe I approach with a different philosophy. Maybe there are some additional restrictions under which I lead my day-to-day life. Maybe I’m not going to leave the house, maybe I’ll at that point avoid going to large crowds. But I think it’s important people have those decisions made for themselves rather than by the government.”
-klem

No comments:

Post a Comment