Saturday, October 2, 2021

The COVID Chronicle, September 16-30, 2021

 

September 17 [Friday]

I took the day off, just because I have too many vacation days. [I know, nice problem!] [Wife Klem] and I went out for breakfast, then we walked around the Claremont college campuses. Just the two of us, neither of the piglets. A pleasant treat. School was in session, but it did not seem overly thick with students. Maybe they’re extending some virtual college courses into this fall semester. There were several tents set up throughout the campuses for classes to meet without the confines of inside restrictions and abide by social distancing precautions. A nice walk.

 

September 18 [Saturday]

Mom’s birthday celebration weekend in Santa Barbara with her girls; [my sister, sisters in law, cousins, niece]. They were all vaccinated, masked up and sensible. Life goes on. 

Meanwhile, [my oldest brother] was at the Safehouse, visiting from Massachusetts! The six of us, including [another brother, nephew, Dad and uncle] went to dinner at Lancers. I understand eating out in a restaurant is frowned upon by some circles in this age of Covid. The number of ambient diners was sparse, or maybe that was just because we ate dinner at 4:00. Well, all right, 4:00 was probably the reason. Dad was granted the honor of paying the bill, the good sport.

 

September 20 [Monday]

An example of Covid-era courtesy. A neighbor and I are consistently walking our dogs at the same time in the morning. At least twice weekly we’re both walking up the same stretch of street at the same time. This morning we were all making our final approach home, before Ghost and I crossed the street to take the lead, as a courtesy so she wouldn’t have to walk in my wake, breathing my used air, Ghost and I paused waiting for her and her dog to go ahead. “You can go ahead, he’s taking his time,” she said to me from across the street referring to her dog snuffling around in the ground cover. We did. Good morning to you, neighbor. Until next time.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment