Wednesday, June 10, 2009

My Annual Clothes Shopping Trip

I am not a manufacturer’s dream. Retail stores do not know me by name. I’m a stubborn consumer who frowns upon the accumulation of stuff.

As recent as only a few years ago I had difficulty accepting that an article of clothing had run its course and needed to be chucked. When is an item deemed worthy of one last wear before it is taken off at the end of the day and thrown into the garbage bin instead of the hamper? A pair of favored trousers with a frayed cuff. Must they be thrown out with as little consideration as a spent watermelon rind? A loyal shirt is faded rendering it a shadow of its former self. Must it be duly cast out like a glass of juice unfortunately bejeweled with a fly?

With some exceptions, I have come to accept the truth that articles of clothing do eventually achieve their expiration date. And to replace the discards I must be willing on occasion to play the part of consumer, reluctant though I be. Rather than throwing a tantrum at the prospect of clothes shopping, I decided to embrace the idea of one annual clothes shopping trip per year. This past weekend was my big trip! The task is done until 2010!

A man of such decadent taste as myself deserves the best. For that reason the bulk of my clothing purchases, since the inception of this doctrine, has transpired at Kohl's. This 2009 shopping venture was fairly modest and was carried out satisfactorily quick; two trousers and three pull over polo shirts. I tried on four pants, selected two, was processed through the cashier, and was out the door in under 30 minutes!

I give full credit for this impressive efficiency rating to Wife Klem. We discussed in advance my goals, she mixed in smart prompting queries to help hone my needs, and even checked online for availability and pricing. With coupons in hand to double team an in-store sale, we emerged unscathed for the experience.

Onward to 2010!
-klem

No comments:

Post a Comment