Saturday, June 13, 2009

A Las Vegas Alley

1993

I was in Vegas with a friend of mine. We’ll call him Jones. It was late Sunday afternoon and we were en route to the freeway to drive home. We were at a traffic signal waiting for a left turn arrow. There had already been several greens, but only a few cars were trickling through per signal.

Across the street to the left was an alley, and in this alley were five or so guys. One of the alley dwellers crossed the street and approached me.

“If you pull in over there (pointing to the alley), I can fix that dent,” pointing to the dent over my front left fender.

I politely declined the offer.

I don’t know if I actually thought he had a Bondo application ready to go, but in reflecting back, I’m confident it wasn’t really for reasons of dent repair I was being encouraged into the alley. I probably avoided getting rolled. It was not my street smarts that saved me, but because it was late and we had to hit the highway. The street signal finally turned green.


Maybe getting beaten down and mugged in an alley in Vegas would’ve made for a better blog post.
-klem

No comments:

Post a Comment